Monday, June 21, 2010

iOS4

iOS4 has just been released today! This update will bring a boatload of new features some very noticeable others not so much. Anyways, only some iDevices will be supported fully. And some not at all. If you want to  know if you're supported cross your fingers and read some more.


iPod touch 1G- Sorry, no update
iPhone 2G- Nada here either
iPod touch 2G- Only some features including: Game Center, Unified Inbox, Folders, iBooks, iAds
iPhone 3G (Mine)- Also partial support. Game Center, Unified Inbox, Folders, iBooks, iAds 
NOTE: (Icons and wallpapers don't go together on 3G-Steve (Paraphrasing). I think jailbreakers disagree)
iPod touch 3G- Multitasking, Folders, Game Center, Unified Inbox, iBooks, iAds, Wallpapers for Homescreen
iPhone 3GS: Multitasking, Folders, Game Center, Unified Inbox, iBooks iAds, Wallpapers for Homescreen
iPhone 4: Everything
iPad: iOS 4 update later this year


Major Changes
iOS4 brings minor usually unnoticed changes to iDevices as well as some major features. Some of the biggest ones are: Folders, Multitasking, Spellcheck, and springboard wallpaper. As well as iAds to some people.


Folders-  Folders should be somewhat self explanatory. Some cool features about folders is that you just drag on app on another. It creates a folder intelligently named by the categories of each of the apps. A great perk is that it has amazing speed and integrates amazingly with OS. This will be most appreciated by Jailbreakers using categories.


Multitasking- Multitasking has long been the holy grail for iPhone users. Many complain that other phones can do it, so why doesn't the "magical" device do it. Simple: Apple only releases something when its rock-solid and utterly stable. Multitasking is no different. Especially when you do it better. Some apps which are "multitasking ready" don't really run in the background. They save where they left off and close. Comparable to "hibernate" on PCs.


Spellcheck- To me this is a feature I have been waiting for. It allows my iPhone to be better suited for work needs. If I'm unable to get home and need to work on something. I just open up notes and when finished email it. Now I don't have to painstakingly proofread myself on the tiny screen. Interestingly enough, spellcheck has recently become a nuisance to some who regularly swear on their phones. Auto-correct (bundled with spellcheck) now replaces profanity.


Springboard wallpaper- This is a feature I have been waiting endlessly for from apple. I happily download iOS4 even though it took me like 4 hours total. I knew it was worth it. I then tried to set it as my wallpaper. Didn't work. Eh... not too bad; 1-800 MY APPLE. 20 minutes with some guy who doesn't know what he is talking about. "Just reinstall" I've finally had enough and ask to speak with someone more senior. He begrudgingly agrees. The guy promptly says 3G is not supported. At least he knew what he was talking about. Sad, I say hangup and wish I had an iPhone 4. Anyways to all you lucky 3GS and New iPhone 4 owners :P Just kidding! Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment