Sunday, June 27, 2010

Advancements in Technology

The amount of advancement in technology and computing is enormous. A couple years back the average consumer didn't have even remotely the access of computing power accessible to them we do now. In fact, scientists estimate that in 2030 a computer will be more powerful than the human brain at its full capacity. Humans, in general, have relied more and more on computers for everything.
My iPhone is connected to the cloud and I use for contacts, tasks, calendar events, etc. So, what does this mean? It means I don't need to remember anything like that; making my life easier. Technology makes people's lives easier. (When you don't use Windows Vista, of course.) So, today I am flying from LAX. I saw that they had made some enormous improvements. For example they had cell-phone charging stations. Where you could charge your cellphone. This was endorsed by Samsung, though. My flight is about an hour and a half, and the waiting lounge had special chairs with electrical outlets, Wi-Fi, and very comfortable chairs. People realise that a technology revolution is happening and nothing short of multi billion dollar companies such as apple and Microsoft is going to stop them. Right now I am on the jet and they appear to have WiFi too, but I cant seem to get it working . So, I shall post it when I land. My school, as technology retardant as it might seem, has also made slight improvements. For example this year our school has purchased two "carts" of computers; 15 in each. There are 30 students in my class. Each cart is equipped with an airport extreme. Along with an infrastructure of wireless Internet. Even better, we have 5 iMacs in each classroom. and about 10 iBook G4s and 10 one generation past the current one of Mac Book Pros. This may seem great! Yet, they lack in one colossal area. The USE of technology. Students are not allowed to bring computers to school. Not for taking notes, not making group projects, nada. Only one person bring his/her laptop to school. That was after a lengthy process of notes and parent conferences. 


Let me make one thing VERY CLEAR. Computers DO NOT TAKE JOBS. They create more jobs. If you were to replace one waiter with a robot. You would need someone to mine the metals, smelt them, create metal plates, create silicon chips, someone to sell the robots, and someone to service them. That's 6 jobs as opposed to 1. Sorry guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment