Thursday, June 24, 2010

iOS4 Review


Two days ago I made a post about iOS4. Today I thought I should make a hands on review. Anyways, I took some screenshots and decided to rate iOS4 on some key aspects.
1. Functionality and ease of use
2. New features
3. Eye candy

First up is functionality and ease of use. iPhones and iPod touches in general have a reputation of being super stable and crashes being rare. Also being easy to use. But all of of power users agree that iPhones and iPod touches are very limited. iPhones lack things that some of the most basic phones have been able to do for years.
Including sending vCards natively. Sadly iPhones still lack this. But iOS4 has other features. In this version you get a lot more functionality than before. Some of the best things are folders and spellcheck. Folders is quick and snappy. The only downside I think, is that it can only hold 12 icons. I can imagine most people have more than 12 games. All in all it's a step forward.  

Second is new features. Folders is a new feature but also adds to functionality. So somethings overlap. Spellcheck for example adds functionality but in my opinion belongs more in new features. Spell check is a great feature that is often overlooked. For someone who uses it for school or work, this is a godsend. Prior to iOS4 I had to finalize my post on my computer. Now I can do it all from my phone. Except embedding videos. But I can post pictures :









Third on the list is eye candy.  Eye candy has always been minimalistic. With slide ins and pop ups it'll make a great visual experience. Also in this category is battery. Why? With iOS4 my battery is terrible! Keep in mind I have an iPhone 3G and with an A4 chip on the iPhone 4 the difference should be trivial. But I don't know what's killing my battery. I have a feeling it's the folders but an update should improve battery life not destroy it. My iPhone 3G 3.1.3, heavily themed with a live wallpaper and SB categories (consumes much battery life). So if you need a longer battery don't upgrade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment